At COP23, Agora Energiewende was part of the programme at the German pavilion. On Saturday, 11 November, Fabian Joas, Senior Advisor at Agora Energiewende, gave a talk focusing on the following topics:
- Technological options to decarbonise the power sector
- Recent cost developments of renewable energy sources (RES)
- Challenges of integrating variable RES into the power system
- Solutions on how to integrate variable RES into the power system and maintaining security of supply
- Best practice examples from Germany
- Outlook: the path into an "all-electric society"
The aim was to describe how a low carbon power system with high shares of wind and photovoltaic can function, what the costs are and how security of supply can be maintained. Furthermore, common myths about RES will be addressed and refuted with data and real-world examples.
After the presentation, the audience was invited to ask questions and to participate in the discussion which was moderated by Charlotte Ruhbaum, Project Manager Climate Change at Stiftung Mercator.
The presentation which was shown during the talk may be downloaded from the media section below.