Project Manager Climate-Neutral Industry, Berlin / Brussels based (f/m/d)
Europe and an increasing number of other countries and regions in the world have decided to become climate neutral by 2050 at the latest. This will imply not only energy systems becoming fully clean within the next 30 years, but also the industrial sector reaching climate neutrality within just one generation. While this is creating tremendous opportunities for investments and clean development, immense efforts are needed to reach net-zero climate objectives, especially for energy-intensive industries. Industrial process emissions and industrial energy use are critical for deep decarbonisation — and among the most important and challenging sectors to work on.
Many countries and companies are struggling with the technical, economic, and political complexities of the transition towards a climate neutral industry. Understanding these processes and challenges is essential for taking political decisions and ensuring a smooth transition to a green economy: How can industries transform while maintaining jobs and growth? How to ensure international competitiveness when carbon-neutral investments are more expensive? Which type of regulation is needed so that any new investment is having carbon neutrality in mind? What role does a carbon price play and how to avoid stranded assets as well as carbon leakage?
Agora Energiewende develops evidence-based strategies for ensuring the success of clean energy and industry transitions around the globe. As independent and non-partisan think tank and policy laboratory, we analyse upcoming challenges, share knowledge with decision-makers and stakeholders and enable a productive exchange of ideas. We work in Germany and Brussels, and - together with our network of partner think tanks - also in other European capitals and overseas.
Starting from September 2020 our industry programme is expanding, with a larger team working on a larger mission: the task is huge, and the opportunities manifold—both for senior and junior candidates. The team is expert, strategic, and busy!
To strengthen our industry team, we are looking for a:
(based either in Berlin or Brussels)
Your responsibilities include
- coordinating and managing specific research projects under the supervision of Agora Energiewende’s Senior Leadership and in close cooperation with partners;
- systematically analysing energy systems, economics, and policies, studies, ToR, memos, and policy papers in the respective context;
- developing path-breaking policy analysis and proposals in the context of the EU Green Deal, national green recovery packages, and global markets;
- pro-actively contributing to building partnerships and working closely with partner organisations in Berlin and Brussels; to provide support, training and to collaborate in research projects;
- strongly engaging with stakeholders, and directly advising government authorities on key policies;
- contributing to Agora’s business and strategy development in the sector;
- working with Agora’s team to ensure the smooth running of daily work and forward planning, including with team members working from Berlin, Brussels and Beijing.
- an opportunity to work in a mission-driven, highly motivated, and professional team;
- a comfortable office space in a central Berlin/Brussels location;
- diverse experiences including professional relationships with colleagues and experts from a variety of countries around the globe, and working with important policy processes at national, European, and international level;
- opportunities for professional growth and advancement;
- full-time or part-time roles with initially two years employment contracts, or an independent contractor consultancy contract.
We are looking for
- a highly motivated self-starter with a strong desire to help build up our industry programme and actively shape the global clean energy and industry transition;
- a Master’s degree in economics, engineering or similar;
- at least four years of relevant work experience and field of expertise working in or with industry, for example on technologies, economics, innovation, materials science;
- capability to represent Agora Energiewende toward governments and other stakeholders;
- strong management skills;
- a proven track record or interest in energy and industrial policy;
- ability to guide analytic research and to write high quality documents;
- a confident, calm, practical and entrepreneurial outlook, with openness to working on diverse challenges and topics;
- working fluency in English; German and other language skills are a plus.
Please upload your application in one single file following the given cloudlink. The deadline for applications is August, 23rd 2020.
As file name please use „application_Project_Manager_Industry_surname_name. Please include a letter of motivation and your CV and indicate your salary expectations as well as your earliest possible starting date. For reasons of objectivity we would like to ask you not to include an application photo.
Should you have any questions, please contact: Ms. Bettina Groß (firstname.lastname@example.org, +49 30 700 1435 –138).